Friday, August 15, 2008

Almost a Year

It will soon be a year since I remarried. I asked my husband of almost one whole year, Larry, if he knew that the first year of marriage was supposed to be the hardest. His reply was, "Not for over 60 year olds.".

And you know what? He was right. Once you've been married and lost your spouse, for any reason, you have so much more knowledge of Life, Love, and Marriage, stored up in you.

Those trials of the first year when you are a newly wed and twenty or less, or for that matter over twenty, are truly tough. So many adjustments to make. But at sixty we already knew all the pitfalls and just went around them. You learn to give more and love more and be happy just being together.

If you were like me raised as an only child, then you had to learn to share, when you left the safety of home and got married. And since I was only 17 when I got married the first time, I had a lot more than just sharing to learn. Try cooking that first roast and not knowing how long it needs to be in the oven. Yeah, burnt doesn't taste too bad, if you are hungry.

But at sixty I was ready to share my life. Not only did I miss having a companion, I missed the affection of just having a hand to hold, and I missed having someone to love and should I leave out COOK for. I got better at it over the years!

Larry says I'm a great cook. Is that why we are now both going to Weight Watchers? Maybe I over learned in some areas. :)

No comments: